Exactly 70 years ago, on 24 October 1945, the United Nations Charter entered into force. Just weeks after World War II ended, the United Nations became a reality.
Human rights were defined as one of the purposes of the organization. 70 years later, as UN membership expanded from 53 to 193 states, how does the organization carry out its mandate to ensure universal, effective respect for human rights? What are the key stakes in this regard? Read FIDH’s analysis:
– What has been achieved in terms of human rights protection? What challenges are facing global governance?Read analysis by Souhayr Belhassen, FIDH Honorary President, who takes Tunisia as a case study.
– At the UN Security Council, permanent members’s use of the veto remains a major obstacle to fulfilling the organization’s mandate. To know more.
– 16 peacekeeping missions are currently deployed in the field. How does the UN advance peace and security worldwide? How do these missions advance human rights? To know more.
– The UN Security Council also emphasizes the full participation of women in peace negotiations and peacebuilding processes. How does this commitment translate in actual fact? To know more.
– In September 2015, the United Nations adopted 17 strategic orientations to strengthen development worlwide, for the 15 years to come. Read about what’s at stake in terms of integrating human rights in global economic governance and human development. To know more
RT @TomBossert: This is beyond wrong and illegal. It’s un-American. The President undermined American democracy baselessly for mo… https://t.co/uDLIsOTwwy
RT @SudanPMHamdok: Thank you @Secpompeo It's indeed a historic day for our bilateral relations, by which we look forward to establish… https://t.co/E1BXGAuaST
RT @SecPompeo: Today is a historic day in the U.S.-Sudanese bilateral relationship, as Sudan’s designation as a State Sponsor of T… https://t.co/G8KsE3ek9F
اعتماد بنك قطر الوطني مراسلاً لبنك أمريكي حكومي في أول خطوة لرفع الحظر عن التعامل المصرفي مع السودان… twitter.com/i/web/status/13541…